There is a commercial on now that shows 2 people in a car singing along with Elton John to "Rocket man". They don't know the lyrics and are just throwing out anything that may fit. It reminded me of all the songs that I have messed up and lyrics that others thought they knew but didn't. I once did this as a game with a bunch of girlfriends to see if they could guess the song that went with the lyrics. I won't make you guess. I'll tell you which song and which lyrics were messed up.
Rocket Man's "Rocket Man....burning out his fuse up here alone" becomes "Burning off the trees on every lawn" or "Burnin up loose on everyone", just to name a couple. My favorite Elton John mix up is "Won't you dance with me Tony Danza?"
1. One of the most common ones is the Jimi Hendrix "scuse me while I kiss this guy"......instead of "touch the sky",
2. Creedance Clearwater Eevival's "There's a bathroom on the right" for Bad Moon Rising.
3. The Rolling Stones " I don't want to be your Beast of Burden' has become " I don't want to be your pizza furncace" or "Don't look at me, your pizza's burning, " or" I'll never be your big suburban."
4. The Beach Boys "California Girls" "The west coast has the sunshine and the girls all get so tan" becomes "The girls are tinsel thin"...( Now they are, that's for sure)
5. In "Fun, Fun, Fun" by the Beach Boys that girl with the T-Bird has lost her T-bag, T-shirt, TV and Dad's taken her to a wake, instead of "takes her T-bird away".
6. Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" line "Thunder only happens when it's raining" can't get screwed up can it? Oh, yeah.....Thunder on Campus when it's raining,
The original line "Say women, they will come and they will go. When the rain washes you clean, you'll know" has been "When the rain washes, you'll clean your nose."
Tell me Lies has become "sell me fries".
I may not have made all of these mistakes, but I've sang my heart out, in my car all alone. Don't judge. I know you've done it too. Then kinda of smiled at yourself at how bad you messed it up. But, there are no witnesses so.....you keep on singing. I know I am not alone here.
I love the oldies and sometimes I only think I know all the words. Terry and I once and I do mean once, tried to karaoke to The Mamas and the Papas "California Dreamin. " Have you seen the lyrics to that song. I swear there are whole stanzas I had never heard. I know they played a whole new version for us.
So the next time you are out driving and you seen a lone woman in a car singing away, it may be me.