Monday, August 15, 2011

"Summer of 42"

While I was writing my last post, I was thinking about World War II books I've read and movies I've seen and this one came to mind.  It was released in 1971. It is a small film that only had one real star, Jennifer O'Neill,  the rest were young men I didn't know, but did go on to do other work.

As the title says, it takes place, for three male teenage friends, that are thinking and talking about the things teenage boys hold dear,  over a summer vacation on Nantucket Island.  The war in Europe is ever present.  Throw into that mix a beautiful young woman, Jennifer O'Neill, that is married to a soldier off  in that war.  She waits for his letters and misses him beyond words. 

The theme song, "A Summer Knows"  is hauntingly beautiful.  This film raises a multitude of emotions.  You will laugh and you will cry but you won't forget "The Summer of 42".





You may be able to get it from Netflix but it looks like Youtube has all of it, broken into pieces, which may not be the best way to watch it but that is available.

Does anyone remember this one? 

9 comments:

Tina L. Hook said...

Ooh. Great opening lines. Loved it.

Anonymous said...

A classic! the theme song is actually "The Summer Knows". Nadia's theme (Cotton's Dream) was actually the theme song to "The Young and the Restless".

Anonymous said...

You ask the best questions!

I remember the movie title and I remember that it had a popular song, but I don't remember seeing the movie. Was there a book too? 'Cause I know the story so maybe I read it? Or saw the movie when I was older.

Hmmm. I'll have to think on that question.

Chatty Crone said...

I don't remember it - sorry.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

Joan- thanks for giving me the correct title. I corrected my post. As soon as I saw it, I knew you were right.

Ally - I looked into it and there was a book by the same name by Herman Raucher. It is based on a true summer he experienced with his freinds and his first love that magic summer.

Mary said...

I loved that movie! I hope it's on Netflix, now you made me want to watch it. It's timeless.

Kathy said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I love the theme song.

Feisty Crone said...

I not only remember this movie, I saw it at the theater and loved it! I've seen it a few times, over the years, on television, but not for some time.

Deanna said...

I loved Summer of 42! I had totally forgotten about it. Now I want to see it again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...