Monday, March 21, 2011

Just a Random Rant

Trojan Condoms with Fire and Ice lubricant.  I was watching TV just now and this was the commercial.  Really?   Do I have to know that? This is mid afternoon.  Isn't their target audience supposed to be at work now?

 I get tired of his and her sex lubes, mail order enhancement meds, and the almighty impotence drugs that show the couple walk off into the forest to magically appear in 2 bathtubs.  I've walked in a few forests in my life and never once found a bathtub.  We also have the flying maxi pad and any number of tampon absorbency ads.

I have told Daughter # 1 that I do not envy her the questions that will come from my 2 grandsons, at 8 and 9 years old.  My biggest complaint is, if these products just have to be marketed, do it after 9:00 p.m.  Do not put them on family programming at family viewing times. 

These, to me, are products that will find their buyer whether they are advertised or not.  I found maxi pads when they weren't advertised on television.  I found them because I needed them. Believe me,   any man with erectile dysfunction will find that little blue pill.  He does not need to be shown how to walk through a forest in search of a bathtub. He will traverse vast deserts in fact, to get that magic pill. 

Remember the Playtex bra commercials we watched as teenagers?  The model was a mannequin form or a woman with a sweater on under the bra.   Have we come a long way baby!!

I know the youth of today are not as sheltered as my generation was.  I would have been mortified to be watching TV, at 12 or 13 or older with a guy and have these commercials interrupt the program we were watching.  The Monkees, Mod Squad or That Girl.  

If the young teens are not a bit embarrassed by them, maybe it's our fault.   I know my daughter has the remote in her hand to change the channels on these ads, when her boys are watching.  I have always believed in the "need to know" theory and at their ages, they do not need to know.  I swear there are some things I don't need to know.  Is it just me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, amen, amen! I couldn't agree with you more about those disgusting commercials on television! Some things need to remain private!!!--and I haven't found a bathtub in the forest yet either :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nope, I walk in the woods all the time..no tubs here either.
I was watching late night TV with my grandson who is 11..when these commercials kept coming on..I just kept trying to talk to him during the commercials..and finally the program was over..it was a Nature program..I turned the channel.
Luckily he never asked the ?..but I would have explained it if he had asked..I was so thankful he didn't ask.
I think all commercials about ED and the ones about the Happy Period should be banned..I never, ever had a happy period.
I guess I better shut up now..I enjoyed your rant..and I agree with you 100%:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...