Tuesday, November 15, 2011

You Can Admit It

I've done it.  You may have done it too.   Raise your hand if you have ever done the Limbo.



Chubby Checkers was extremely popular when I was a preteen.  Most of his hits were in the early 1960's with The Twist, Pony Time, Limbo Rock and Let's Twist Again.


I'm sure I Ponied around the world at least once.  Those dances and songs may have started in the early 60s but they stayed around all that decade, and maybe into a wedding reception or two much later.

When I was in Junior High, (Middle School now) our High School had dances in the gym every Friday night, during the summer.  I could get in once I was in the 7th grade.  It was soooo exciting to watch the older high school students dance.  There were rumors of one very pretty blond that would dash off to the girl's bathroom to loosen her bra straps so that her Shimmy had more shimmy, so to speak.  That was pretty hot stuff back then.

So many of the Chubby Checkers dances were popular then.  Everyone could Twist.


It was so much fun when dances had names....and my joints didn't pop and crack when I moved them.

5 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I don't have a lot of memories of childhood - but I do remember Chubby Checker and my dad doing the twist.

Sandie

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I was never very good at the Limbo, but I sure could do a mean Twist! Thanks for bringing back some nice memories. Just wish the ole body could bend and twist like it used to!

Intense Guy said...

I love that picture of you and your sister!

I'm do I *really* have to admit I've done the Limbo?

:)

mary said...

That is a fantastic picture! It says everythingj!

So, let's twist again.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Ah the limbo and the twist..done them all.
Have I told you about the time Chubby Checker and I had dinner together? Well we did back in 1981 or 1982 I was a Black Jack dealer..I often took my dinner break in the restaurant next to the gaming area. Yup..you guessed it me and Chubby Checker were the only ones in the place. I smiled and waved..and so did he. I did not disturb him for an autograph:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...